Shalford Village Hall and the large playing fields were donated in trust by Major Guy Gilbey Gold of adjacent Abbots Hall to Shalford residents in 1925 with a clock tower being added in 1945 in memory of his son Rodney Gold lost at Anzio in 1944.
The building consists of the main hall which will hold 100 people, a small hall used for committee meetings, changing rooms, showers, toilets and a fitted kitchen. Outside we have a football and cricket pitch, tennis court and children’s play area.
2020 has seen a major refurbishment to both exterior and internal alterations to the village hall. Namely a replacement for the leaking roof with full insulation internally which has allowed for removal of the previous low ceiling.
New replacement bell tower together with a working clock mechanism, previous unit was the original from 1945, together with new double glazed windows these have been fitted in the original sash design but with high level of thermal barrier, completes exterior changes.
Future changes include removing the old toilet block, including conifer trees around the main entrance to extend the car park and install disabled parking. New netball area next to children’s area is already in hand with funding in place
The Village Hall and facilities are run by a voluntary Management Committee which meets 2nd Wednesday of each month at 7.30 pm.
We are always looking for support from residents who have an interest in the village community whether it be helping manage and maintain the Village Hall facilities, arranging fund raising events or simply turning up to support those events
Completely new kitchen facilities installed February 2015 including new easy clean flooring, together with dishwasher.
Our sources of income are from letting the Hall and facilities, fund raising events and grants. The latter two are essential because letting fees do not cover the ever increasing running costs, let alone maintenance and improvements.
In the last couple of years we have obtained grants to refurbish the shower rooms, toilets and kitchen in 2015. The equipment in the children’s play area has also been replaced with further grants and proceeds from the Summer Fetes, fund raising events and the Parish footpath map.
However there is still much work to do
If you do not want to see these Village facilities lost, then please support us
Update October 2013 – For many years the original trust deed has been missing but through the efforts of current chairman Colin Golding copy has been obtain via Charity Commissioners
Trust deed is required to establish correct ownership when applying for government grants which the current management intend to do with the refurbishment of the village hall.
With solicitors help the deed has been updated to reflect current legislation and can now be viewed
at :- >>Trust Deed 2014<<