Draft Minutes

Minutes of the Parish Council, held on Wednesday, 19th February 2020

Present Cllr Golding (Chairman)
Cllr French
Cllr Gurnett
Cllr Short
Cllr Eversden
Cllr Oates

1 member of the public

DC Santomauro
Cathryn Carlisle (Clerk)

20/20 Apologies for Absence

Cllr Batt
Cllr Tattersley

20/21 Minutes of the PC meeting held on Wednesday 15th January 2020, were approved and signed a true record of the meeting.

20/22 Declarations of interest

Cllr Golding, Cllr Short, Cllr Eversden VHMC

20/23 Public participation session with respect to items on the agenda and other matters that are of mutual interest.
There were no comments

20/24 Clerk’s Report

The Clerk said she had noticed that a poplar tree behind the schoolhouses had been pollarded. Cllr Eversden said he would check this out for the Clerk.
Andrew Hull contacted the Clerk on Sunday about a tree that had come down and blocked Hulls Lane. Andrew would have moved the tree but there was a cable going through the branches and he didn’t want to move it and, in the process, cut the cable. The Clerk contacted the police who said they would have a look.

20/25 Reports from Councillors with matters affecting the village

• Parking on pavements. Cllr Eversden said a resident had contacted him regarding people parking on pavements. The Clerk said to report it to the police.
• Potholes on Water Lane had been filled and with all the rain the filling had come out and needed refilling, this has been reported again.
• The BT Box in the road outside No 1 The Stores keeps flooding and when there a heavy frost the area becomes very slippery, one resident has already fallen over
This has been reported to BT, ECC, Anglian Water everyone is blaming each other.

20/26 Finance

20/26.1 £304.06 Clerks Staffing Costs Sept BACs
20/26.2 £65.00 B Keen Maintenance Dec BACs
20/26.3 £28.50 Clerks Expenses BACs
20/26.4 £252.00 EALC Training BACS
20/26.5 £104.40 Community Heartbeat Pads BACS
20/26.6 £1200.00 Walker Engineering WoB BACE
20/26.7 £800.00 Understanding Data WoB BACS
20/26.10 £104.39 Harrisons Dog Poo Bags BACS
Payments were approved by all members of the Council present. Cllr Gurnett checked the invoices prior to the meeting.

20/26.8 Monthly Budget and Bank Reconciliation

These were sent out prior to the meeting and were approved by all members of the Council present

20/26.9 Section 106/Open Spaces Action Plan

Following a review of our entry by officers, BDC are happy to include all aspects of the entry into the Plan except for the village highways sign which they consider does not directly relate to the use of public open space.
They will keep a record of items which are not suitable for inclusion within the Plan if other opportunities or funding becomes available.
A Cllr asked how long the Section 106 restriction stayed on the new houses at Church End Shalford, there in no time limit on this, but there should be agricultural tie.

20/27 Village Hall Management Committee update

• The refurbishment of the roof is coming along, the builders have found a few issues which they didn’t know were there, old pipe work and water tanks, which need taking out which has cost extra.
• The VHMC are hoping to be back in operation in March 2020.
• The new windows will be installed on the 24th April 2020.
• The VHMC have asked that the Parish Council pays the 2019/20 grant money.
• Cllr Eversden mention about the amount of dog mess on the playing field, there are dog poo bags free of charge at the shop.
• Little Waltham Cricket Club are looking to move to Shalford and rename themselves as Shalford Cricket Club, this would open other doors for funding.
• Lawrence has handed his notice in as grounds man for the field, Lawrence is 86 this year and has decided to retire. The VHMC will look at all the options on getting the field cut.

20/28 District Councillors Report

DC report on the local Plan hearing which was held on 14-30th Jan, the inspector has indicated that he won’t be look for any significant extra evidence. BDC are hoping in the next couple of weeks to get an interim letter. The Inspector could say scrap it if it’s beyond being sound and recommends withdrawal or it could be made sound with a few recommendations. If there are any recommendations, they then go to a six-week public consultation.
• The refurbishment of Manor Street and Victoria Street is underway
• Horizon 120 development will be starting soon.

The Braintree and Witham Times reported on the investment of £40 million which includes a lot of projects that are already planned. BDC are putting into place some for “socialisation” projects.
The Green Waste collection will be starting in March again

20/29 County Councillors
No Report

20/30 BDC Local Plan 2033

20/30.1 Joint Council and SERCLE update
See District Councillor’s report above

20/30.2 Uttlesford Local Plan

UDC have received a letter from the joint Inspectors with regards to their Local Plan. The letter had 127 points being very critical of the Plan. Point no 113 had 13 issues which are as follows: –
“In summary, our main concerns are:
• The lack of clear mechanisms to ensure the Garden Community Principles will be met.
• The need to define precise boundaries and to show these on the policies map.
• The proposed housing delivery trajectory is overly optimistic.
• There is unlikely to be a 5-year HLS on adoption.
• The stepped trajectory unreasonably delays addressing the housing affordability problem.
• The Garden Community approach predetermines the strategy long beyond the plan period and so is unduly inflexible.
• As part of the assessment of reasonable alternatives the SA does not consider a smaller number of garden communities, in combination with more housing in existing sustainable settlements, nor does it have regard to the evidence in the HIA; 21
• The lack of certainty about the delivery of employment uses undermine the potential for the Garden Communities to be sustainable places.
• The costs, viability and deliverability of the RTS are uncertain and any benefits would be realised too late to help ensure the Garden Communities at Easton Park and West of Braintree would be sustainable places.
• Realistic infrastructure costs have not been established meaning it is uncertain whether the Garden Communities will be viable and developable.
• The North Uttlesford Garden Community is flawed in terms of landscape and heritage impacts and the potential for the A505 improvements and public transport infrastructure is uncertain, undermining the potential for this Garden Community to be a sustainable place.
• The Easton Park Garden Community is flawed in terms of heritage impacts, the potential for highway improvements to M11 junction 8 and the M11 between junctions 8 and 13 are uncertain pending further investigations by Highways England and the unknown implications of the gas pipeline crossing the site on its capacity for built development.

• The West of Braintree Garden Community is flawed since the sustainability appraisal and viability assessment only consider the part of the site within Uttlesford despite it being dependent of the delivery of the larger proposed site allocation in Braintree District.

In addition, further work would be needed on:
• Mitigation measures for Hatfield Forest Site SSSI
• The housing requirement and trajectory in relation to people in communal establishments.

Stansted Airport Expansion was turned down by UDC Planning Committee

20/31 Village Enhancement

20/31.1 Planters update
The Clerk to contact the School about the planters to make sure that the school would like to plant the planters up this year. Alternatives need to be discussed at the next meeting.

20/32 Planning Applications/Comments

Cut Hedge Cottage Pre-Application. The council await the planning application

19/01744/FUL | Construction of three dwelling houses alongside ancillary vehicle access, parking, landscaping and other associated works | Land Opposite Jaspers Jasper’s Green, Shalford, Essex. Revised Plans. The council feel this is over development of the site and recommend refusal
20/00090/HH Loft conversion to provide storage. – 9 Jackmans, Shalford, Essex
The Council feels that conversion to provide loft space will become bedrooms due to putting windows in the gable ends and windows in the roof and storage being over the bathroom which can easily be turned in to an en suite. The council are not concerned about the use of the loft space for storage but if this is the proposed use then there is no need for the windows in the gable end and roof. The Council recommend refusal.

20/00091/HH Loft conversion to provide storage. – 11 Jackmans, Shalford, Essex
The Council feels that conversion to provide loft space will become bedrooms due to putting windows in the gable ends and windows in the roof and storage being over the bathroom which can easily be turned in to an en suite. The council are not concerned about the use of the loft space for storage but if this is the proposed use then there is no need for the windows in the gable end and roof. The Council recommend refusal.

20/32.1 Planning Results

20/00008/OUT Outline Planning Permission for the construction of a single dwelling house with all matters reserved apart from access. – Fox House, Church End, Shalford. Pending

19/02055/FUL Change of use from agricultural land to residential garden land & retention of fencing. – Yorneys, Shalford Green, Shalford. Granted

19/01744/FUL & PP-08163494 Construction of three dwelling houses alongside ancillary vehicle access, parking, landscaping and other associated works – Land Opposite Jaspers, Jaspers Green, Shalford Revised. Pending

18/02023/VAR Application for variation of condition 2 following grant of planning permission 18/00278/REM – to reduce the Visibility Splays from 120m to 73m as per the recent approval (18/01124/FUL) and as agreed with Highways. – White Court, Braintree Road, Shalford. Pending

20/33 Footpath/bridleway

20/33.1 Bridleways — No Update

20/33.2 Footpaths
The Clerk to contact Shirley Ahlin about the P3 Scheme to see if Shalford had been approved. Cllr French and the Clerk have put together a cutting schedule for the spring which needs approval.
Cllr French had sent an email to Richard Norman asking him for a map of where the way markers need replacing, to date this hasn’t been received.

The Clerk had received a letter from ECC legal Services regarding an application to upgrade footpath 63 (part) and footpath 67 to a restricted byway in Shalford. Investigation into a claim that a restricted byway exists at Shalford.
The County Council have considered all the evidence in this case and have decided that on the balance of probabilities the evidence does not indicate that public vehicular rights exist over the application route.

20/34 Highways

20/34.1 Update from Highway Meeting. No update

20/35 Consultations and Publications Received and to respond to

The Leisure Centres are looking to go cashless, there is a consultation about this but its not been passed on to the Clerk yet.

20/36 Day Celebrations VE

Bendlowes Trust will be putting on a luncheon on the Saturday 9th May, the council has put £250 aside for this event, and the Village Hall Committee are looking to do a BBQ, beer tent and light the Beacon in the evening.

20/37 County Broadband

The Clerk had emailed County Broadband earlier in the week and asked for an update on the situation in Shalford, but no reply received. The Clerk to draft a letter to County Broadband asking for an update and expressing disappointment in the fact that we had not received an update in time for our meeting.

20/38 Matters to be raised by members for the next agenda

APM, Annual Report, Defibrillator at the George

20/39 Date of the next meeting 18th March 2020

20/40 Meeting Closed at 8.45pm

Signed………………………………………… Dated……………………………………………